Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Daily Fun Fact for 12/7/2011


Oprah has an ‘obsession’ with okra and incorporates it into every facet of her life.

“I love giving okra-related gifts from Oprah.com to my friends and family,” she said in an intimate, revealing interview with Factopolis. “Whether it’s comfy PJs with an okra print, professional-grade okra shaped stainless steel pans, fabulous okra earrings, or heavenly okra scented candles, okra gifts are always a big hit on Oprah.com.”

As one can imagine, Oprah loves cooking with okra. Her recipe book resembles a CEO’s rolodex and contains well over 300 okra recipes. She added, “I share tons of recipes to my Facebook friends through Oprah.com. You can also find several in my book Dreams of My Mother: Oprah and the Okra Empire, on sale now at Amazon.”

She reveals in her book that her love for the vegetable comes from her longtime partner, Stedman Graham, and her best friend Gayle King. “I call Stedman ‘my beard’,” Oprah said. “Um, by that, I mean, he grows on you quickly and can get scruffy at times, but at the end of the day he makes you look good in the public eye. I like him. He's sweet. He’s a pretty good guy.” Regarding her best friend Gail, Oprah has similar, if not more loving, words.

“She calls me “my little okra” and gives me little bunches of okra flowers and occasional pecks on the cheek. Our friendship has always been kind of playful; I like getting away from my ‘beard’ sometimes to focus on my friendship with Gayle.” She sighs and gets teary-eyed. “You always want to be with people you care about, but some people are more private. One day, maybe, when this is all over, we can experience the wonders of okra together and run away to ‘Okraland,” the theme park of our dreams.”

©Factopolis - Daily Fun Facts and Useless Knowledge

The information in this post is just for fun and does not reflect any judgments/claims about the subjects' preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment